Saturday 30 June 2018

Day 7: Chatham- Kent to Sarnia. Trip total: 854km


I made my first reasonable decision of the trip today. Knowing it was going to be a scorcher, I decided to get on the road a little earlier than usual,  and (this one hurt) I decided to cut my ride down to 87km from 142km.

Up to this point, I've been leaving between 630-7am, but today I left before 6am to take advantage of the slightly lower temperature.

Even at 6:30am, the sun was bearing down

Yesterday I decided to turn today's 142km ride,  and tomorrow's 142km ride into 3 days instead of 2. Sarnia seemed like a logical destination for today, leaving me with an average of 100km to cover on each of the next two days. I can manage that,  even in this heat.


Leaving early was key today.  I arrived in Sarnia before 10am, and although it was hot during the ride (mid to high 20s), by noon it was 35 degrees and extremely humid,  so I definitely dodged a bullet.


The first 40km was along highway 40 in open farmland,  leaving me completely exposed the rising morning sun - which fortunately was a few hours away from full magnitude.

The last 40km along the St. Clair River offered many of opportunities for shade, and pleasant riding trails and parks all along the shoreline.

Breakfast at Brander Park

Getting into Sarnia before 10am made me feel like I had a day off,  which I plan to spend planted in front of air conditioning with some cold beer watching the Jays game.


St. Clair River

No comments:

Post a Comment