Thursday 12 July 2018

Day 18: Sault Ste. Marie to Blind River. Trip total: 2115km


Today and tomorrow I'm retracing my steps from the previous two days to get me back towards Manitoulin Island.

This had me nervous because I knew there'd be a 20km section of highway 12 heading east into Blind River that's like riding on a cheese grater, has a minimal shoulder, and lots of big rigs. The alternative is backroads with worse surface conditions, but no rigs.

I lucked out because the construction work that pushed me onto the backroads two days ago was a road crew repaving the highway! Rather than 20km of cheese grater, it was only about 10km to deal with.  And where they had yet to repave, they had construction cones blocking off half a lane which served as a makeshift bike lane for me,  which was a nice consolation.


To bad I didn't start my trip a little later,  they might have had the whole section repaved by the time I passed through.






No comments:

Post a Comment