Saturday 7 July 2018

Day 13-14: Parry Sound to Noëlville to Sudbury: Trip total: 1617km

With the lack of network or wifi access yesterday,  I'll combine two days into today's post.  I covered 217km between Parry Sound and Sudbury,  see below for the rough route -


Friday

What a difference a day makes.  There's no way I would have made it through this route during yesterday's 43 degree heat,  but with today's 20 degree temperature and cool breeze,  it was a perfect ride!


As expected,  large chunks of today's ride were remote and there was a 25km section along 529 where I didn't see another vehicle,  let alone a rest stop, and that was fine by me. No flies to deal with,  just lush forest and a quiet two lane road to myself.


Pickerel River

French River

I was able to dart onto highway 69 for periods at a time, but the headwind and hills did a number on my legs.  The hills weren't high,  they were just constant. Below is the elevation graph from that 56km section of the ride -


Although winding and not well marked,  the route wasn't as convoluted as I anticipated. I didn't really need the gps navigation as long as I tracked the distances between turns.  I tried not to think about what would have happened if anything broke down on 529 as it would have taken me all day to walk out of there. All in all, a great day's ride. 

Saturday 

I ended up in Noëlville yesterday,  leaving me just shy of 100km to Sudbury.  No need for the map today, just straight up 535 to Markstay-Warren, then 17 all the way into Sudbury. 

The landscape is definitely looking more like northern Ontario.  Lots of rock and forest, not so many farms.









No comments:

Post a Comment