Wednesday 4 July 2018

Day 11: Collingwood to Bala. Trip total: 1337km


By my loose estimate, I'm halfway through my trip. Based on the mileage so far,  I've been underestimating the actual distances, but it's been close.





Today was also the first day I felt like I was really in the unknown. I don't think you're supposed to bike up the east side of Georgian Bay,  and today's experience reinforced that assumption.




Highway 400 is how you get to Sudbury,  unfortunately you can't bike in highway 400. There also isn't a direct secondary highway so I've been relegated to obscure backroads for up to 100km at a stretch without any rest stops.

I was expecting this so I had plenty of water and food,  but I didn't factor in the flies.  There was a consistent swarm of flies pacing me for the last 50km along Muskoka road 13 and they attacked whenever I slowed down or stopped - which meant no rest when I needed it the most. It also meant I didn't have opportunities to take many pictures.

Bala Falls

I expect tomorrow to be even more remote. I'll hit Parry Sound in about 50km,  and after that I don't expect to see civilization until I hit my campground 100km later.

This is roughly the route over covered so far

While searching for cycling options I came across this article that seems to sum up my expectations,  most notably the following quote -

"There's no going between Toronto and Sudbury... that's because the new four- laned portions of highway 69 prohibit cyclists"
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/pave-the-way-for-cycling-tourism-manitoulin-group-says-1.1393150

I have about 300km to cover over the next 2 days to gey to Sudbury. After that I'll be in familiar territory as I retrace sections of the trans Canada I've already ridden.

At the very least,  the next two days will be a challenge,  and I'm looking forward to it.


1 comment: